Friday, May 16, 2014

Fourteen years of handing out superpowers

As the school year winds down it seems like all we do is check off one more task from from a never-ending to-do list. Reflecting is one of those things we need to do but don't always do. This week I submitted my last monthly newsletter for the year. What I teach is called Infotech. It is in the elementary specials rotation with music, art, and phys. ed. Kids come to me for an hour each week. The program is kind of my baby because I was one of the two founding teachers and have been able to mold it pretty much to my wishes along the way. I can't believe it has been fourteen years since we sat down to craft this thing. Below are my reflections that I placed in the specials news section this week.

As I take a second to look back over the last fourteen years of Infotech, it is pretty amazing how much it has changed.

We started out as one of the first school districts in Michigan to have wireless laptops with our blue Apple "clamshell" iBooks. Since then we have moved to being much more web-based and have MacBooks with ten times the capabilities of the original iBooks.

We utilize many of Google's Apps for Education and we have Apple iPads running iOS and Sony tablets that run Android. It seems like we are broadening students' exposure to more and more tools and devices every year.

One thing hasn't changed though. The goal of Infotech has been and always will be to build technology skills that students can use to enhance learning in their regular classroom. I call them "learning superpowers" that allow them to access information in amazing ways and to share what they learn in amazing ways. Here is to many more great years to come in Infotech.

No comments:

Post a Comment