Thursday, December 5, 2013

You're a Mean One, Microsoft. You Really are a Heel.

I have really had it with Microsoft and its ad agency. I mean, who do they have running the show? The Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge with Oscar the Grouch on retainer as a special consultant?

It started with the Windows tablet ads that mocked Apple's Siri and the capabilities of the iPad. You can call me a fanboy of the fruit pushers, but I would be pretty disappointed with Apple if Cupertino was taking the same approach. Not only did the Windows tablet campaign have some major holes, it was just plain mean.

Now this morning I caught my first glimpse of Microsoft's latest similar assault. Now they are knocking the Google Chromebook with the help of the Pawn Stars gang. They warn you not to get "Scroogled". Well, tactics like this just make me feel like we are all getting "Scrooged" this holiday season by Microsoft.



To quote one of my Twitter buddies, "This makes me want a Chromebook more and watch Pawn Stars even less." I completely agree. I will take it a step further. These ads make Microsoft look like the typical middle school mean kids who constantly  put down others to hide their own set of insecurities.

One of my favorite Christmas commercials this season is where Santa is at the post office filling the flat rate box with coal. I almost guarantee that eventually that box is going to get slapped with a label reading

One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-7329
USA.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment