Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thank You Michael - a Video Response

Way back in January, my fellow nerdy friend Rushton Hurley shared with me a fabulous video posted on his NextVista.org site called "My Name is Michael" and I subsequently shared it here on this blog.

The video is by a California middle schooler who has Autism and with the help of his teacher, Michael shares his daily struggles and desire to be included by his peers. It is powerfully honest and as I began to show it my upper elementary students I could tell they really "got" his message. The response on this site was great too and Michael's mom actually took time to leave a little thank you in the comments.

To harness some of the energy generated from our discussions in the classroom, the kids and I began to brainstorm what we might be able to do in order to let Michael know we appreciate the courage it took to make his video and that we all deepened our awareness of Autism from his work. What follows is a student-created video response.

This one is for you Michael!

Thank You Michael from Andy Losik on Vimeo.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment