Monday, October 13, 2014

Anything you tweet can and will be used against you...

I should know better. I spend all week working with kids and technology, reminding them to watch their digital footprints. It is as simple as the Miranda warning. Anything you tweet can and will be used against you. None of my students got hung out to dry digitally (at least that I know of)this weekend. It happened to me.

After watching a great high school football game on Friday night between Fennville (where my dad coaches) and Saugatuck (where I used to coach, my wife teaches, and my daughter attends) I was unwinding before bed with a little time on Twitter. One of the Holland Sentinel reporters was tweeting a little bit about the game so I shared a couple of thoughts, specifically that I thought Fennville could have taken advantage of interior matchups and run more between the tackles. Here are the tweets.









What I didn't expect was to have the reporter quote my tweet about what Fennville should have done in his story of the game. When I called my dad on Sunday morning, the first thing that he wanted to know was what the heck the Holland Sentinel was doing quoting me questioning their play calling. Yeah, instant tummy ache. The cool thing about my dad is that he actually thought it was funny.

As I would later tweet to the reporter, I was not expecting some meaningless post-game chat to be quoted. But, like I also stated to him, "I know Twitter is public. My big mistake."

This guy must have really been digging for filler if he is taking some random guy on Twitter's thoughts about small town high school football. In a later tweet I didn't bore you with, I told the reporter that my dad was the Fennville offensive line coach. You would think he would understand how publishing a quote that sounds critical might cause some drama. Maybe that was the goal all along.

Bottom line: I should've known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment