Wednesday, February 26, 2020

How to ADHD: ADHD and Motivation

These seven minutes of video really made me think about the ways I have asked kids to complete tasks and the ways I have handled things when they didn't complete something. It even got me thinking about my own struggles at times to self-motivate.

Jessica McCabe from HowToADHD.com explains how the ADHD brain deals with motivation and it is tremendously enlightening. It's not that people with ADHD don't want to accomplish something, it's often that they simply can't.

Jessica uses the analogy of a bridge and explains that from the "said" to the "done" for everyone there is a chasm to cross. Non-ADHD brains can typically span that space with enough "planks" that are generated from the motivation of career advancement or of making family and oneself proud. An ADHD brain isn't as motivated as easily and it's not that someone doesn't truly value completing the task, there are simply different motivators that are more powerful. Things like urgency, how novel a task is, and if it is of self-interest tend to be the most effective motivators for people with ADHD.

The video goes on to give some suggestions to people with ADHD on how they can actually overcome these motivation gaps by rethinking their approach to a task in order to increase that sense of urgency, keep it new, and keep something interesting on a personal level. These suggestions aren't just important for ADHD sufferers, but for all of us.  I personally have never considered myself to be a person with ADHD but I know that these three factors are the most powerful motivators for me. I also know that as educators, this is incredibly useful insight. Designing tasks with these factors in mind not only helps our students with ADHD be better motivated but can be more motivating to all kids. What I personally find most helpful is that with just this little bit of knowledge of how the ADHD brain is motivated, I can be more understanding when students struggle to complete tasks and better adapt to give them exactly what they need in order to be successful.


Thanks, Jessica for your continued work at How to ADHD and to fellow-Michigan educator Eric Bentley for sharing this original video on Twitter. 

1 comment: