Monday, February 24, 2020

Music Review: Justin Bieber "Yummy" (Country Remix) with Florida Georgia Line

The Waffle House can make just about anything better, even a really bad Justin Bieber song.

I recently posted that this blog wasn't going to get hung up on the profound. Well, there is nothing profound about All Good Days' first song review.

One thing I love about Spotify is how it at least tries to put new music in front of me that I might actually enjoy. So, in my 5:00 AM-ish music browsing of recent releases, I came across Justin Bieber's "country remix" of Yummy with Florida Georgia Line.

As I began listening, I immediately had this "I have no idea what to do with this song" feeling. Before I got too deep into the remix, I had to go find the original so I would have some kind of comparison.

Okay, so....wow. Had I known anything about the original, I never would've clicked on the remix. Three things stick out here for me.

  1. Beebs....eat brah. Find some actual food that's yummy, yummy, yummy or let's get you to a weight room. 
  2. Innuendo is supposed to be hidden at least a little bit. The kid ain't talking about food in this song and the Jello molds from the video are memorable...even if you don't want them to be.
  3. There's a major lyric in here about eyes rolling and toes curling that frankly I really didn't need to now have stored in my head...and the associated visuals...yikes.
Okay, so I am not a fan of the original...and the remix, well I am still torn. It feels like a movie one might describe as "so dumb it's actually funny". Maybe it's more like some terrible accident in the booze aisle at the grocery store. Either way, there is a part of me that can't look away and may have trouble not continuing to play it. Here's the remix as published on Florida Georgia Line's YouTube channel.



My initial reaction was: Just when you think this thing can't any worse, Bieber kicks off with a really, really bad Southern accent, accentuated with a total rip off of Larry the Cable and a "Git-r-done".

Image result for larry the cable guy get er done
Luckily this IS a collaboration with Florida Georgia Line and Tyler and Brian join in to rescue it the best they can. Like an evening out or a road trip south, everything gets better when you mix in the Waffle House as these lyrics help the song immensely.

"I've been up in Waffle House but you my Chick Fil A.
I've been into waffle fries since our first date.
Ain't got time for playin'. I'm gonna clean your whole plate.
(Girl, I'm gonna lick it up)"

Does that save it completely? No. The innuendo is still pretty strong but at least they actually mention some food in this one. I do find it a bit creepy where they talk about "saying grace" then follow it with:
"Let me slide on over, girl, and get a taste (Let's roll)".

Overall, this song is pretty entertaining, even if it's not quite in the way Beebs or the FlaGa Boys had intended. I imagine there will be more ventures into country collaborations for Bieber though. He has been on top of the country charts for weeks now with the very good 10,000 Hours collaboration with Dan + Shay. Justin has been represented by Scooter Braun since he was 12, and it is Braun who recently purchased Big Machine Records.  BMR has a whole stable of artists that could remix Bieber songs with him. Personally, I think the kid needs to spend some time with Cheap Trick.

Bottom line: Every day can be a good day but not every song can be a good song. With Florida Georgia Line's help, this one at least gets a little better. It might make your teenager gag like it did mine, or if Bieber's your thing, you might actually like it. It actually kinda beats a lot of stuff out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment