Thursday, February 27, 2020

“Savage Builds” is now available through Discovery Education

Former Mythbuster and former Star Wars special-effects guru Adam Savage is the king of ”engineering the absurd” and his most-recent show “Savage Builds” is available for classroom consumption through Discovery Education.

Not only is the show wildly entertaining and full of STEM, but it is also the embodiment of the same engineering process I teach my kids. What I find tremendously effective is to review an episode by asking kids to deconstruct it into the stages of ask, imagine, plan, create, and improve. As a teacher, it is incredibly satisfying to have 2nd or 3rd graders be able to effectively identify and comment on the stages that the show "contestants" followed in their "savage" builds.

There are two big takeaways for me. 1) Kids see real engineers following the same process on my bulletin board, which totally validates instruction. 2) Kids see people having ridiculous amounts of fun from building things while being silly.

 If my students don’t take anything else from me but these concepts, I will view my work as a total success.


Check out “Savage Builds” on Discovery Education today.

1 comment:

  1. It was truly decent to peruse an article composed on this blog. I might likewise want to include a couple of strategies with the best of my insight which can help peruser to an ever-increasing extent.SEO Company in Kanpur India

    ReplyDelete